Forms of Bargaining
- Unions favour national collective bargaining, as this gives them greater power and enables them to take advantage of economies of scale in negotiations.
- It would be expensive for a union to negotiate separate agreements with a large number of employers
- In most of the EU< collective bargaining is undertaken where unions will negotiate with associations of employers on industry-wide agreements.
- In the USA and Japan (and sometimes UK), local agreements are more common; especially in the private sector
- For local agreements, there is a single employer bargaining, with agreements being made at the company level.